Sunday, April 19, 2015

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux Install Problem

 

Hi Rick,

You wrote:

Oops!  I should never type emails before my first cup of coffee.

LOL--when I saw that I had to go get another
cup myself.

Hi Gene!  The ISO file ... does not require an OS.

Once the disk has booted it will let you "play" with the Mint desktop.  It also places an "Install Linux Mint" icon on the desktop.  Clicking on that icon warns you that a new partition will be made and all data on the HDD will be lost.  

It then overwrites the existing OS (if there is one) and all data while it installs a fresh copy on Mint.

Yes, I've already blundered my way through
using Mint 16 and then Mint 17 (thanks to
lots of help from all the sources I could find
at the time) to rescue a netbook with XP on
it--it was not modern enough to take any
still-supported version of Windows.

I had not had any reason to know that not
having a running OS on board wouldn't be
a problem. Thanks for this thread that has
increased my knowledge.

--

Gene Falck
gfalck@merr.com






__._,_.___

Posted by: "Gene C. Falck" <gfalck@merr.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (13)
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment