Friday, September 25, 2009

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Older Machines part 2

 

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "paw9230" <paw9230@...> wrote:
>
> Hi all, my laptop gave out, <boohoo> so i tried to install Ubuntu9.4, no luck splash screen would freeze. I burned the iso to disk, several times. I read in another place, sorry don't remember where, it was stated that the downloads do not load properly?! it is best to purchase the live cd from cano(can't remember the name). Here's the funny part, the auto run would start after inserting the disk into my hubby's comp. how could that be? I have tried both the 32bit and 64bit. According to the HP website I have a 64bit AMD. One last thing to try is to reload windows(yuck) and then try to install Ubuntu.
> BTW...Gary, Bruce and David, I still have a few of the older towers, just no place to work on them.
> Thanks
> Pat (formerly truckrwolf)
>

Did you check the MD5 checksum on the download? That would be the
first step. If you downloaded under Linux, do "man md5" to learn
how to get it. If under windows, Google for it and download. I
found a free MD5 calculator for Windows somewhere back when I had
machines that ran Windows. If the MD5 checksum is correct, you
might try the following while burning the ISO:
1. slow the burn way down
2. burn it from a different machine.

I have one machine that never burns anything right even though the
DVD drive is new. I just do it with another machine now. Also,
I believe there are a few seconds where you can change how the
Live CD boots. It is during the very first few seconds when
you see it count down. Hit enter and see what options you have.

Loyal

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Get in Shape

on Yahoo! Groups

Find a buddy

and lose weight.

Group Charity

California Pet

Rescue: Furry

Friends Rescue

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment