Thursday, September 24, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Re. SWAP...I may need LESS (bottom-posted)

 

loyal_barber wrote:
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Darksyde" <m_alexander61@...> wrote:
>> <snip>
>> My Swap shows 8871 available (0 used). Would it behoove me to downsize?
>> Mark
> I would not mess with it.
> Loyal

I would leave it the way it is as well just watch it when your system is
really loaded and see if you are still using zero SWAP. Then next time
you install Linux do a custom partition setup and set your SWAP to some
small number.
The old Linux rule of twice the amount of RAM for SWAP is outdated in
todays multi gigabyte home systems. I usually run multiple virtual
machines with VMware for development and never have a problem with my
little SWAP space. I could probably run without any SWAP space but I
don't really care about 512MB of my 250GB hard drive.

My server for example, is a VPS and, has no SWAP space at all. As long
as the system has enough RAM everything runs fine. Should it ever run
out of RAM it will start killing processes but this should never happen
since there is plenty or RAM available.

--
John
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation
prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
[Friedrich Nietzsche]

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

Share experiences

with owners like you

Yahoo! Groups

Auto Enthusiast Zone

Passionate about cars?

Check out the Auto Enthusiast Zone.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment