Friday, September 25, 2009

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Re. SWAP...I may need LESS (bottom-posted)

 

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "loyal_barber" <loyal_barber@...> wrote:
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Darksyde" <m_alexander61@> wrote:
> > <snip>
> > My Swap shows 8871 available (0 used). Would it behoove me to downsize? I have 66 Gig available disk space (32%) and I have almost every app. I should ever need plus many I'll *eventually* delete.
> > Mark
> >
> I would not mess with it. First, 66 GB is a huge amount of data space.
> Second, if you reduce to 4GB swap, you still have only gotten to 70 GB.
> In other words it would not make much difference. Swap space is like
> a New Car warranty. You have it in hopes of *never* using it.
>
> Loyal
>
Thanks once again, Loyal. Your answer was perfectly logical...allocating 4 Gig more to the disk only gives 4 more Gig (duh). The new-car-warranty analogy is a great one!
Mark

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment