Monday, September 28, 2009

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Linux Capable Printers

 

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 04:25:23AM -0000, majorridge67 wrote:
> Help! I need a good printer available in the American market that will work on Ubuntu that won't break a college guys budget. Any suggestions?
>

What's good? I always go with HP, because someone hsa usually gotten it
working. I don't do that much printing, so I go for inkjet, as my wife
needs color. As we all know, they usually sell the printers cheaply and
the ink is what costs money. (An HP rep once told me that with their
lowend laser color printers, often, when it ran out of ink, people found
it cheaper to buy new printers.)

One place to check is hplipopensource.com They have a list of HP
printers and what version of hplip is necessary to get it to work. For
example, I picked up an HPC4795 all in one on sale at BestBuy for around
$120--$140 with tax. It works out of the box with Karmic--not sure what
version of hplip Jaunty has. However, with most distributions, even if
they were running older versions of hplip--this particular printer
requires the latest, version 3.9.8, to work--I was able to manually
install hplip and get it working.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Anya: I know what broke up him and Cordelia, you know. It was you!
And your lips!
Willow: No, it was not! Well, yes it was so, but... that was a
long time ago, do you think I'd do that again?
Anya: Why not?
Willow: Hello? Gay now!

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Check out the

Y! Groups blog

Stay up to speed

on all things Groups!

Weight Management Group

on Yahoo! Groups

Join the challenge

and lose weight.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment