Monday, September 14, 2009

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Word documents in Ubuntu

 

Thorin Marty wrote:

>
> Good afternoon:
> I just joined the list in hopes to get a few questions answered. I
> am an old hand at Unix, starting with BSD 4.1 in 1984. Recently I
> needed a home laptop purchased a Dell preloaded with Ubuntu. I am very
> happy with Ubuntu.
>
> It came loaded with Open Office. I am not happy. All of my documents
> were created with Microsoft's Word 2003 or before. I need a word
> processor that is able to correctly update the table-of-contents and
> then save it in the Word format. KOffice does not work. Purchasing a
> product is not a problem. (I even have a legal, shrink-wrapped copy of
> Office Professional 2003 for XP but I am not sure it would work with
> Wine.)
>
> Suggestions would be appreciated!

Give Abiword a whirl, it is a competent
standalone and free word processor that enables you to read and write
to Microsoft Word (prior to Word 2007) documents.

(http://www.abisource.com/wiki/Microsoft_Word_documents)

Armando

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Yahoo! Groups

Mom Power

Find wholesome recipes

and more. Go Moms Go!

Weight Management Group

on Yahoo! Groups

Join the challenge

and lose weight.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment