Friday, September 25, 2009

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Re. SWAP...I may need LESS (bottom-posted)

 

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, John Black <spam@...> wrote:
>
> loyal_barber wrote:
> > --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Darksyde" <m_alexander61@> wrote:
> >> <snip>
> >> My Swap shows 8871 available (0 used). Would it behoove me to downsize?
> >> Mark
> > I would not mess with it.
> > Loyal
>
> I would leave it the way it is as well just watch it when your system is
> really loaded and see if you are still using zero SWAP. Then next time
> you install Linux do a custom partition setup and set your SWAP to some
> small number.
> The old Linux rule of twice the amount of RAM for SWAP is outdated in
> todays multi gigabyte home systems. I usually run multiple virtual
> machines with VMware for development and never have a problem with my
> little SWAP space. I could probably run without any SWAP space but I
> don't really care about 512MB of my 250GB hard drive.
>
> My server for example, is a VPS and, has no SWAP space at all. As long
> as the system has enough RAM everything runs fine. Should it ever run
> out of RAM it will start killing processes but this should never happen
> since there is plenty or RAM available.
>
>
> --
> John
> All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation
> prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
> [Friedrich Nietzsche]
>
Thanks, John. Your reasoning, while not exactly identical to Loyal's was equally logical, and therefore helpful for current and future reference.
Mark
Cogito ergo non credo

__._,_.___
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment