Wednesday, September 23, 2009

[nslu2-linux] Trying to recover from failed HDD

 

Hi everyone, I thought I had this figured out by I can't get it to work.

My Slug has been happilly running uNSLUng 5.5 for over 3 years, but the drive I originally unslung to (in port 1) died last week. All of the data was backed up on disk 2 though.

Following instructions I found here and at the NSLU2-Linux site, I did the following:
booted the slug without any disks
removed the .sda1root and .unslung files
rebooted without disks attached
telnetted in
attached the old disk 2 into the port 1 vacated by the dead drive.
waited for it to be mounted,
did sbin/unsling disk 1

This appeared to work correctly, no errors at least, although it didn't ask me to create a password.

On rebooting the slug, there appears to be disk activity, but it looks very much to me like it is still booting from the internal flash. For one, ipkg update doesn't work, although ipkg-cl update does. Also several folders that I imagine should be there (like /opt/etc) are not.

How can I confirm (in uNSLUng 5.5 remember) whether or not I'm actually booting from the internal flash or the disk?

If it is still booting from the internal flash, what can I do about it? I've already unslung twice. One thing I have noticed is that although the .sda1root file has been recreated, the .unslung file has not.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
Regards
Dave

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment