Saturday, August 14, 2010

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: The new machine...

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, J <dreadpiratejeff@...> wrote:
>
I'll be happy to report back on the drive performance. Since I am traveling and visiting relatives, I have been unable to find the time to do the major installation stuff--I plan to do that today as a major endeavor.

Until fairly recently, CompUSA was owned by the Carlos Slim group from Mexico--and their American management wasn't all that great. Now that Tiger Direct has the remaining few stores, the selection has greatly improved and the prices dropped.

Fry's is always fun--but their prices seem to have grown progressively worse over the last few years. As I said before, the CompUSA in Dallas is far lower on many, many items and no higher on the rest, from what I could see.

I must also do some serious testing of the external DVD writer I bought. In trying to make the backup set for my ASUS, it has been burning coasters--which I have yet to determine is either the fault of the backup routine or of the DVD drive. I'll burn a few disks today with error checking enabled to try to determine which. To be on the safe side, I'll also order a restore set from ASUS to be on the safe side.

By the way, I also bought a Sony PRS 600 Touch ebook reader--and Calibre works quite well with it, although it is not explicitly supported in the device list. For those who don't know, Calibre is an ebook program available both for Linux and Windows. It not only handles library management, but it also does conversion between various ebook formats so if you get an ebook in a format your reader may not support, it is very likely Calibre can transform it to one your reader can deal with. It also serves as a good reader application if you don't have a reader, but want to read the books and such on your computer.

David

>
> Good luck with that. :) I'm interested in knowing what you think of
> that hybrid drive when you have used it for a bit. I've read some
> reviews on those units but until know didn't know of anyone in the
> wild who had one, so I'm curious to know what your experience with it
> is, and whether the 4GB buffer is worth the extra money for everyday
> use.
>
> As for stores, we used to have both CompUSA and Tiger Direct here in
> Raleigh, but CompUSA went under (Tiger Direct was always better on
> prices anyway).
>
> I just WISH there was a Fry's here... I hit them up every time I'm on
> the west coast... the ones I've been in are so much nice than the
> Tiger Direct stores... we have two in Raleigh and Durham, and both
> look like a ghetto K-Mart full of Computer/Electronics stuff...
> cramped dirty aisles, lots of boxes, badly set up displays... but they
> DO have good prices that even make the 45-50 mile drive worth it for
> me sometimes...
>
> Cheers
> Jeff
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment