Thursday, August 12, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] The new machine...

 

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 02:19, dbneeley <dbneeley@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am taking the original 5400 rpm, 500 GB drive and putting it in an external case for use as a backup drive. I am replacing it in the machine with another 500 GB
> drive--a Seagate hybrid, which is a 7200 rpm unit with a 4 GB solid state hard disk element built in. The drive firmware is supposed to move those files that are
> most frequently accessed into the solid state portion, so it should run much faster than a conventional hard drive while having a far more reasonable price than a
> full solid state disk. This hybrid cost me $139 at a CompUSA in Dallas.

Good luck with that. :) I'm interested in knowing what you think of
that hybrid drive when you have used it for a bit. I've read some
reviews on those units but until know didn't know of anyone in the
wild who had one, so I'm curious to know what your experience with it
is, and whether the 4GB buffer is worth the extra money for everyday
use.

As for stores, we used to have both CompUSA and Tiger Direct here in
Raleigh, but CompUSA went under (Tiger Direct was always better on
prices anyway).

I just WISH there was a Fry's here... I hit them up every time I'm on
the west coast... the ones I've been in are so much nice than the
Tiger Direct stores... we have two in Raleigh and Durham, and both
look like a ghetto K-Mart full of Computer/Electronics stuff...
cramped dirty aisles, lots of boxes, badly set up displays... but they
DO have good prices that even make the 45-50 mile drive worth it for
me sometimes...

Cheers
Jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment