Sunday, August 15, 2010

[nslu2-linux] Re: Cannot access telnet

 

Thanks Mike.
all sorted now. A mixture of intense doziness and too much caution were the overriding factors at play...
Cheers, Andy

--- In nslu2-linux@yahoogroups.com, Mike Westerhof <mwester@...> wrote:
>
> gary wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > My (storage) HDD (on disk 2) failed on my unslung Slug recently. Hoping to swap in a new HDD didn't work as planned so I decided to reflash the firmware, re-unsling and carry on as before.
> >
> > No problem with using the reset button to enter Upgrade Mode and I can see the new firmware (NSLU2_V23R63.bin) overwriting the old & then being verified etc and the slug rebooting. However, once the slug reboots I have no telnet access nor ssh (ssh I didn't expect to have though some of the wiki instructions suggest I should be able to ssh to my slug). The link on the GUI to enable telnet is not there, nor if I type xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/Management/telnet.cgi do I get there - the page says Content-type: text/html Error: File not found.
> >
> You have installed NSLU2_V23R63.bin -- that's the Linksys firmware. It
> doesn't do telnet, so this is exactly what one would expect, actually.
>
> Regarding SSH, you might be confusing Unslung and SlugOS -- Unslung
> starts out with only telnet due to firmware space limitations, but
> SlugOS starts out with SSH. And the Linksys firmware has neither.
>
> > I have had a stab at trying to get into redboot mode without success using various methods listed but I feel I'm going round in circles.
> >
> > What also surprises me is that the GUI, whilst listing me as having V2.3R63 installed is also still giving me the Unslung/linux/Penguin graphic on the top left of the GUI when I have yet to re-unsling.
> >
>
> The logo doesn't reflect the unslung state, it merely tells you which
> firmware you have installed. Unfortunately, browser caches get in the
> way here. Clear your browser cache, and you'll see the REAL icon for
> your current firmware.
> > My set up before that worked perfectly was Unslung 6.8 on a USB stick in disk 1, external HDD on disk 2. I am on Mac OS X (10.5) PPC.
> >
> > Can anyone rationalise this for me - and get me back telnet access to re-unsling?!! Any help greatly appreciated..
> Sure. Flash the unslung firmware to start! ;-)
>
> -Mike (mwester)
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment