Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Best netbook distro--opinions, anyone?

 

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 04:25:58AM -0400, J wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 00:34, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

>
> > I have FreeBSD on my 1000HE, but it took more work to get it going than
> > it did with any of the mainstream Linux distributions.
>
> I would say that you are a sick, sick man, but yesterday I installed
> and ran a small UEC cloud across a couple VBox VMs on my laptop...
> what is wrong with me?
>

New boss, would like a BSD box or two, and due to this job, I've had no
time to play with it. When he said that, my two co-workers said, "I
don't think I've seen Scott this happy in years." It's my first love,
and of course, one of the things it (generally) has over Linux is the
documentation, which makes the more complex things much easier. I
haven't, however, had much time to work with it, even at home, for a
couple of years.

It actually wasn't hard, it's just that it might be difficult for a
newcomer, and due to the hplip port being somewhat broken, can't use it
with my scanner, but aside from that--took only a little longer to set
up than Fedora, though longer than Ubuntu. (Fedora, I do a minimal
install and have to add everything afterwards, as I customize it
heavily.)

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Angel: Acathla turned to stone, as demons sometimes do, and
was buried
where neither man nor demon would want to look...unless, of course,
they're
putting up low-rent housing.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment