Saturday, August 21, 2010

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: 64-bit Linux issues

 

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 04:53, dbneeley <dbneeley@gmail.com> wrote:
> So far, I've just tried Kubuntu and Mint with KDE interface.
>
> The error indication is simple: it will not boot into Live CD mode (and I've tried both with USB-connected DVD drive and with USB memory key, using two
> different USB creation programs--the same ones which work flawlessly with 32-bit versions of the same Linux variants. Instead, there are indications that the
> distro is apparently trying to load--for example, the increasing periods indicating that files are being read or created--but ultimately nothing more than that.

Hate to ask the simple stuff, but it's important to know:

So you're positive that your ISOs are good (you've checked them with
sha1sum or md5sum to the checksums provided wherever you downloaded
the ISO images?

And you've burnt more than one copy of each? (it's not uncommon in a
stack of 100 CD-Rs, for example, to have up 20% useless disks).

What versions of Mint and Kubuntu are you using? older, newer? I
KNOW the Kubuntu ISOs are good (I spent 2 and a half days smoke
testing all the 10.04.1 ISOs).

Are you even sure this is a 64bit capable processor? Seriously... I
just did a 5-min google and didn't really find anything that actually
SAID it was 64bit. All the systems I looked at ship with Windows 7
Home Premium (but didn't say whether that was 32 or 64bit). All the
ones I've bought so recently have specifically stated that they had
the 64bit version of Windows 7 installed, and the sales material
specifically stated they were 64bit processors. So it sounds like a
dumb question, and it probably is, but I couldn't find anything that
actually definitively told me it was a 64 bit chip.

I DID find the Intel specs for it, but honestly, if you've ever read a
processor spec you'll understand why I chose not to read through it at
this early hour... besides, I have to meet someone in the hotel lobby
in about 10 minutes and I'm only half dressed (hoping it doesn't
rain!)

Cheers
Jeff

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment