Thursday, June 30, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Wont boot..help

 

I believe Ubuntu disallows direct root login by default try su root or just sudo

For real fun figure out how to deal with visudo that way your regular user can have some more privileges by default. Means you'd have to su or sudo less. Although the sudo package is optional itself so you may have to install it.

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@...> wrote:
>
> I've tried logging in as root. It seems that whatever my husband did locked
> me out of root, too. It's not recognizing my root password. I talked to an
> Ubuntu tech guy I know, and he said that at this point there is nothing left
> to do but reinstall Ubuntu. I used my live CD to get in and get all my data
> saved to chips. Since I have to start fresh anyway I'm going to partition
> the drive three ways-- two different Linux distros and the third, just for
> data. I'll use Ubuntu 11 on one partition, and either OpenSuse, Debian or
> Fedora on the second.
>
> Any suggestions? I want something that will force me to learn my way around
> the command prompt without being super frustrating. Basically, something a
> step or two up in difficulty from Ubuntu but still usable to a newbie
> willing to fight with it.
>
> Yvette
>
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Martin Warren <elephant_range@...>wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Please don't take me for a Ubuntu expert, because I rarely use that OS, but
> > is the 'loading screen' you refer to the Ubuntu loading screen or that of a
> > bootloader (grub, maybe)? The first possibility I can see would require you
> > to use the live CD to re-install the startup files, and you would want
> > someone more familiar with the Ubuntu OS - 'cuz I'm Debian. The second
> > possibility would require that you re-install the bootloader (can be tricky,
> > but I could help you more on that one). Can you get far enough to try
> > logging in as root and check your user settings that way?
> >
> > --- On Wed, 6/29/11, Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@...> wrote:
> >
> > From: Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@...>
> > « Plain Text Check Spelling[image: Change language] Resume Editing
> >
> >
> > Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Wont boot..help
> > To: "LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
> > Date: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 12:00 AM
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > My husband tried to instal MySQL while I was gone. He says the instructions
> >
> > said to use the terminal to run chown-rmysql.
> >
> > When I got home my laptop was off,so I rebooted. Now I can't log in. When I
> >
> > try to log in it flashes the loading screen with an error message. It
> >
> > flashes too quickly to read.
> >
> > I have an Ubuntu cd and used that to check my hard disk. All my files seem
> >
> > to be intact. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on a Dell Inspiring laptop.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Yvette
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Yvette Davis
> Natural Health Consultant, Herbalist, Writer
> www.msquill.com
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment