Monday, June 27, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to group with QUESTION

 

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM, g.linuxducks <g.linuxducks@gmail.com> wrote:
> Your comment ....<<<as far as your eth0 theory goes. >>> is VERY puzzeling.
> I did NOT say any such a thing. Quoted I said....
>
> <<<>> Like ethernet is named " Auto eth0 " by default or you will never got
> online...>>>
>
> It HAS to be " Auto eth0 " which is capital A and then space and then eth
> and number zero together as "Auto eth0" . This is NOT theory but reality
> with Ubuntu Linux.

I have ubuntu installed on a machine and the closest thing to "Auto
eth0" any where in "/" is "iface eth0 inet static". This is because I
have set it up with a static IP address and do not use "network
manager"... I have no problems getting on line with it and even
occasionally do some online stuff with it from a remote connection
with ssh and x-forwarding (because I am too busy (i.e., lazy) to
figure out how to set up vnc.

On the surface and for most new users, I think what you are saying is
accurate. If it doesn't say Auto eth0, they will likely not be able
to get online with a wired ethernet connection. Most likely because
they have buggered something up along the way. But if you set the mac
address and ip protocol in network manager, you should be able to name
the connection anything you want to and it will work fine if I
remember correctly.

Also, on my laptop which has built in wireless, and a wireless card
that I plug in (the card actually works) I have wlan0 and wlan1. The
card is wlan1 as the one built in the mainframe was assigned first, I
guess. If there are two ethernet cards/connetions, they should be
eth0 and eth1.

Cheers, ~Chris

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment