Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Wont boot..help

 

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 08:51:21PM -0500, Yvette Davis wrote:

> I've tried logging in as root. It seems that whatever my husband did locked
> me out of root, too.

I would think you could use chattr (change attributes) or something
similar, but really don't know.

It's not recognizing my root password.

Did you set one? Have you tried, just for fun, sudo su -

> data. I'll use Ubuntu 11 on one partition, and either OpenSuse, Debian or
> Fedora on the second.
>
> Any suggestions? I want something that will force me to learn my way around
> the command prompt without being super frustrating. Basically, something a
> step or two up in difficulty from Ubuntu but still usable to a newbie
> willing to fight with it.

If you don't require point and click, I'd recommend Arch. It gives a
small install, but the docs are excellent. It might seem, with its text
based installation, and, after install, booting into a console, as if
it's something really difficult, but the documentation is very
good--just look at the setup guide, and it's all there.

The others. Debian might be the step up, you'll have to do some
googling, and find the instructions to get the various things that
aren't open source. I believe it's super easy to do, but I don't
remember the procedure.

The nice thing about Arch is that it has great docs and a good forum as
well.

Fedora is pretty much like Ubuntu in many ways. The internals are
somewhat different, but if you use the GUIs, to a non-Gnome user like
myself, Gnome 3 and Unity seem quite similar, both aimed at the
smartphone user.

Their forums tend to react harshly to criticism of Fedora, in most cases
calling the complainer a whiner or troll, suggesting they ask for a
refund, or similar. Despite this, there's a bunch of nice helpful
people, and if you ask a question, as opposed to saying, what a piece of
junk, you'll almost always get quick and useful help.

To me (and remember, this is just one person's opinion, and that of a
person who prefers the BSDs, but has been stuck in Linux by a job
change), Arch will probably teach you more, and really not be much more
work than Debian. My second pick would be Debian (though if I were
truly objective, it would probably be closest to your stated
requirements). Fedora, as another desktop oriented distro, is, when
working right, about the same as Ubuntu save for the fact that you have
to add some 3rd party repos for things like flash and other
non-opensource things.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Willow: I just talked to Buffy, and yeah, I think she's feeling a
little... insane. No, not bitchy crazy, more like homicidal
maniac crazy. So I told her to come see you, 'kay?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment