Saturday, June 25, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to group with QUESTION

 

Hi Gerald,

No disrespect intended. I will answer you in your email document with caps.

<<<I can only access the internet using dial-up. I want to switch from
using Windows XP to Ubuntu. >>>

So to start from the beginning so I can help, others, your SET UP is you
have a desktop XP PC and have already installed Ubuntu 10.04 in a dual
boot system ? Correct ? (YES) You have only Dial Up service - no broadband/dsl
or wireless modem card ? Correct ? (YES)

One reason for asking is the ability to install software/packages into
Linux without existing dial up connectivity yet. I have worked with CAB
Files install on mobile computers and 'tar'. Your Desktop does have a CD
Drawer - correct ? (YES)

Let's begin there for help knowing what we are looking at and by the way
the rest you have covered very well as to where things are now in
attempts already.

Yes, Linux out of the box is ethernet ready (broadband/dsl) and wireless
Wi-Fi has been my complete expereince with Debian, Ubuntu and a couple
others. I am/would be really surprised that a Linux distro is not dail
up ready out of the box (IT IS NOT) - meaning install it and connect. Being on home
network my self leaving dial up years ago is why I am not up to par on
Linux dial up. This will be a big no-no if bad press gets a hold of the
idea that Linux out of the box can not connect to dial up without
installing software which takes an internet connection . There must be
connectivity here over looked because Linux is shipped pre-installed in
desktops. In other words, they would be a laughing stock to do such is
the bad press I mean. Who would buy one ? right. (YES, BUT THAT IS WHAT THEY DID)

gerald philly pa usa

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment