Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Terminal access from cd?

 

Thanks, Loyal. I kept getting an error "operation not permitted " anytime I
try to make changes to my hard disk.

The disk is already mounted- I used the GUI to mount. I have access to some
of my files, but others are locked as a result of whatever my husband did
yesterday. I can't seem to make any changes.

Yvette

On Jun 29, 2011 9:09 AM, "loyal_barber" <loyal_barber@yahoo.com> wrote:

**

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@...>
wrote:
>
> How do ...
Let me first say what I think you asked as I am not clear:
1. I am running a live CD
2. I want to run a terminal to do command line activities against
my hard disk

If I am correct, this is relatively simple. First, to run a terminal.
BTW, it would help to know which live CD you are running. The terminal
program often has a link on the task bar. In the menu system for
gnome it is under "Applications->Accessories." Once you have your
terminal up and running, the next step is to get root access:
Ubuntu style: sudo su -
Redhat Style: su -

Next mount the disk:
1. create a directory where you will mount it.

mkdir /mnt
mkdir /mnt/disk

2. mount the disk

mount /dev/sdYX /mnt/disk

Y will be a letter such as a b c etc. If you only have one disk
SATA, it will be a. X is partition number from 1 to x. If you
only have one partition on a single SATA disk it would be

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/disk

Please note: you are root. Anything you do can kill things on your
disk so be extremely careful.

Regards
Loyal

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment