Thursday, June 30, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Moving on

 

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com> wrote:
> I get the time bit, but $. Has he paid for support and not got it? It makes
> it sound like he is trolling and spreading FUD that Ubuntu costs money and
> is not worth the effort. It is not for everybody, but it is free as in beer
> and as in freedom. That is meaningful to many who choose Linux.
>
> Roy

I believe the majority opinion (or at least voiced by a few) was that
Fred probably needed to purchase some external modem that would play
nicer with Linux. Might have been considering that he needed to buy
more magazines to get linux distributions to test if dialup was
natively supported there. In any case, I do not think Fred was a
troll. He was just someone trying to get a dialup connection to use
internet with his linux OS, and it ended up being more work than he
was prepared to do. The bickering between members here and some
conflicting information might not have helped.

In the end, some really enjoy the learning and tinkering process.
Others want their OS to work without fuss. Even as much as I enjoy
the learning, I was put off linux on two separate occasions because I
couldn't get wireless to work and was living in an apartment at the
time where wireless was my only option. It was only when I finally
had some time and proper motivation (about 2 years after I first
tried) that I finally decided to conquer the learning curve and figure
out how to get things going. It also helped that I had at that point
been using the Bash and Korn shells for a year and a half at work, so
it was all a lot less intimidating than it initially seemed.

Cheers, ~Chris

>
> Using Kubuntu 11.04, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>
>
> On 29 June 2011 16:12, Fred Lieberman <quartz@frontier.com> wrote:
>
>> **
>>
>>
>> Thank you for all the help you have offered. I have decided to move on and
>> not spend anymore time and $ on trying to make Ubuntu a part of my life. I
>> have firewood to stack and other things to do that are more important than
>> spending hours on something I find too hard to understand.
>>
>> Again, thank you.
>>
>> Fred
>>
>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment