Thursday, June 30, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Wont boot..help

Hmm. that's not a bad idea. Set up the DOS partition and then I can go in
through there if things go wonky. Thanks for the idea.

Yvette


On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Martin Warren <elephant_range@yahoo.com>wrote:

> **
>
>
> Sorry, Yvonne. Your Ubuntu expert gave you expert info on Ubuntu, but
> wasn't very farsighted, in my opinion. They neglected to advise you to set
> up a 200MB DOS partition as hda1 if you're doing a multi-boot.
> Dinosaur-Land has saved my proverbial ass on more than one occasion.
>
>
> --- On Wed, 6/29/11, Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> From: Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Wont boot..help
>
> To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
> Date: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 9:51 PM
>
>
> I've tried logging in as root. It seems that whatever my husband did locked
> me out of root, too. It's not recognizing my root password. I talked to an
> Ubuntu tech guy I know, and he said that at this point there is nothing
> left
> to do but reinstall Ubuntu. I used my live CD to get in and get all my data
> saved to chips. Since I have to start fresh anyway I'm going to partition
> the drive three ways-- two different Linux distros and the third, just for
> data. I'll use Ubuntu 11 on one partition, and either OpenSuse, Debian or
> Fedora on the second.
>
> Any suggestions? I want something that will force me to learn my way around
> the command prompt without being super frustrating. Basically, something a
> step or two up in difficulty from Ubuntu but still usable to a newbie
> willing to fight with it.
>
> Yvette
>
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Martin Warren <elephant_range@yahoo.com
> >wrote:
>
> > **
> >
> >
> > Please don't take me for a Ubuntu expert, because I rarely use that OS,
> but
> > is the 'loading screen' you refer to the Ubuntu loading screen or that of
> a
> > bootloader (grub, maybe)? The first possibility I can see would require
> you
> > to use the live CD to re-install the startup files, and you would want
> > someone more familiar with the Ubuntu OS - 'cuz I'm Debian. The second
> > possibility would require that you re-install the bootloader (can be
> tricky,
> > but I could help you more on that one). Can you get far enough to try
> > logging in as root and check your user settings that way?
> >
> > --- On Wed, 6/29/11, Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > From: Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@gmail.com>
> > « Plain Text Check Spelling[image: Change language] Resume Editing
> >
> >
> > Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Wont boot..help
> > To: "LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
> > Date: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 12:00 AM
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > My husband tried to instal MySQL while I was gone. He says the
> instructions
> >
> > said to use the terminal to run chown-rmysql.
> >
> > When I got home my laptop was off,so I rebooted. Now I can't log in. When
> I
> >
> > try to log in it flashes the loading screen with an error message. It
> >
> > flashes too quickly to read.
> >
> > I have an Ubuntu cd and used that to check my hard disk. All my files
> seem
> >
> > to be intact. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on a Dell Inspiring laptop.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Yvette
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
>
> --
> Yvette Davis
> Natural Health Consultant, Herbalist, Writer
> www.msquill.com
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please email
> LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo!
> Groups Links
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>

--
Yvette Davis
Natural Health Consultant, Herbalist, Writer
www.msquill.com


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment