Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Wont boot..help

I did try sudu su- It asked me for a password. I entered the same password
I've always used for root activities, and got an error that the password was
wrong.

Yvette

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:44 PM, Scott <scottro@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 08:51:21PM -0500, Yvette Davis wrote:
>
> > I've tried logging in as root. It seems that whatever my husband did
> locked
> > me out of root, too.
>
> I would think you could use chattr (change attributes) or something
> similar, but really don't know.
>
>
> It's not recognizing my root password.
>
> Did you set one? Have you tried, just for fun, sudo su -
>
>
> > data. I'll use Ubuntu 11 on one partition, and either OpenSuse, Debian or
> > Fedora on the second.
> >
> > Any suggestions? I want something that will force me to learn my way
> around
> > the command prompt without being super frustrating. Basically, something
> a
> > step or two up in difficulty from Ubuntu but still usable to a newbie
> > willing to fight with it.
>
> If you don't require point and click, I'd recommend Arch. It gives a
> small install, but the docs are excellent. It might seem, with its text
> based installation, and, after install, booting into a console, as if
> it's something really difficult, but the documentation is very
> good--just look at the setup guide, and it's all there.
>
> The others. Debian might be the step up, you'll have to do some
> googling, and find the instructions to get the various things that
> aren't open source. I believe it's super easy to do, but I don't
> remember the procedure.
>
> The nice thing about Arch is that it has great docs and a good forum as
> well.
>
> Fedora is pretty much like Ubuntu in many ways. The internals are
> somewhat different, but if you use the GUIs, to a non-Gnome user like
> myself, Gnome 3 and Unity seem quite similar, both aimed at the
> smartphone user.
>
> Their forums tend to react harshly to criticism of Fedora, in most cases
> calling the complainer a whiner or troll, suggesting they ask for a
> refund, or similar. Despite this, there's a bunch of nice helpful
> people, and if you ask a question, as opposed to saying, what a piece of
> junk, you'll almost always get quick and useful help.
>
> To me (and remember, this is just one person's opinion, and that of a
> person who prefers the BSDs, but has been stuck in Linux by a job
> change), Arch will probably teach you more, and really not be much more
> work than Debian. My second pick would be Debian (though if I were
> truly objective, it would probably be closest to your stated
> requirements). Fedora, as another desktop oriented distro, is, when
> working right, about the same as Ubuntu save for the fact that you have
> to add some 3rd party repos for things like flash and other
> non-opensource things.
>
> --
> Scott Robbins
> PGP keyID EB3467D6
> ( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
> gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6
>
> Willow: I just talked to Buffy, and yeah, I think she's feeling a
> little... insane. No, not bitchy crazy, more like homicidal
> maniac crazy. So I told her to come see you, 'kay?
>
>
>

--
Yvette Davis
Natural Health Consultant, Herbalist, Writer
www.msquill.com


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment