Sunday, June 26, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to group with QUESTION

 

Well I guess I am wrong and apparently this is the dirty little secret
and why Linux is not popular like Windows being 90 percent of all
worldwide computers in that Linux is not Dial Up Ready to connect to the
Internet out of the box and Windows is - from what I have been reading.

I am not going to pursue this and forgetting Linux Dial Up. Sorry I was
not more help. I would be horrified if Linux is not Dial Up Ready out of
the box. It would be the only operating system in the world that is not
then, and the world began on Dial Up which is why I mean horrified. I
mean almost as meaning they are a laughing stock to the average
consumer. It is like they are a work in progress as an operating system
to the average consumer.

That being said, of course this is do-able absolutely and I think my
original comment is true that the New Connection Name for Dial Up in
Wired in Connection Manager has to be typed in for it ever to work. And
I say that because I never see the instructions to set the New
Connection Name to "wlan0" to set up any wireless connection for it ever
to work. Apparently virtually all Linux users are on broadband/dsl and
never need to know these other connection settings. I am definately a
user of the superb release of the rock solid Ubuntu Linux Netbook
Edition 10.04 LTS and never had a problem with it out of the box finding
the New Connection Name as "wlan0" to start using it on Home Network
(router). I found that out by mistake and have yet to find helpers
posting that and like I said apparently all Linux users are on
broadband/dsl and have no clue as to other connections.

In other words it is like setting Windows to automatic "Network
Discovery" on to start detecting Wi-Fi to connect to it. Without a
setting, Windows is not going to sniff out wireless either although
there are plenty of softwares to do that as wireless connection manager
softwares used other than the default Windows has in it. WeFi was one
for detecting all hotspots around if memory serves as example.

I appreciate the pain but to just download Linux is around 600M to 700M
to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB Drive to install it and over dial up is
hours. The ensuing Update Manager installs are another about 250M to get
it fully functional so that on broadband/dsl these downloads are way
less than an hour and you are up and running within 2 hours - fully
functional.

Currently they are trying to get broadband/dsl to all USA. Satellite has
it. To be honest I would switch ISPs to satellite broadband/dsl until it
is available as landline (over telelphone). Dial up has always been very
painfully slow to use and impractical actually - and especially today
with the media explosion on the world web. Seriously, I would switch to
satellite and be done with the aggravation of it all. It is not worth it
believe me as I did several years ago.

Perhaps the popular Wicd connection manager has better options than the
default Connection Manger which is found in Ubuntu Software Center
(Linux Software Repository) .

Sorry I was not better help. Sorry broadband/dsl is not available yet in
your area. It will be someday soon. Blame the FCC if they are to.

gerald philly pa usa

On 06/26/2011 03:12 PM, g.linuxducks wrote:
> The whole point is I believe Linux is dial up ready out of the box
> just like it is ethernet ready (broadband/dsl) and wireless ready (wi
> fi). I have found that only the ethernet ready connection settings are
> in by default. To use wireless or dial up, you must click new
> connection in the Update Manager. Since I use it for wireless, I know
> that it is named wlan0 or there will never be anyway to ever get on
> wireless no matter how much stuff you keep on installing. This is the
> same for dial up to my knowledge, and no matter how much you keep
> installing it is not going to work until a new connection is set up in
> connection manager which is the connection name I am trying to find.
>
> Like ethernet is named " Auto eth0 " by default or you will never got
> online no matter how much stuff is installed. It is 'tarded to think
> someone would make a computer and computer system that you have to put
> together anything to get an internet connection. They don't. All
> computers and systems come internet connect ready period. The only
> exception is the wireless modem that may not be supported here there
> or everywhere. Technology changes does effect wireless. The old v.92
> dial up modem has been here since I have been on computers since 2001.
> All computers and operating systems come ready connect for that as
> well as broadband/dsl. You generally cal in to the ISP to start
> subscription and any necessary connection settings and or software.
> This does not have anything to do with computer connectivity - it is
> an ISP issue.
>
> I am waiting for an answer myself from anyone who uses Linux dial up
> for the connection setting name.
>
> Unfortunately the world is moving towards broadband/dsl particularly
> in the USA. That is reflected in Linux as they for some reason expect
> that everyone going to use it is on broadband/dsl montly subscription.
> It is the ONLY default connection set up out of the box for some
> reason and shows. Personally I would never go back to dial up and
> would take satellite high speed if broadband/dsl was not available in
> my area. Dial up is just to ridiculous to use in todays computing I am
> sorry to say, but is reality.
>
> The only reason I am trying to hook up Linux dial up is like if I were
> to change dsl providers I would have a dial up account free to use
> while waiting which for one is 10 hours free a month from Juno.com.
>
> There has to be somebody out here that uses Linux on dial up ! will
> they please answer !
>
> --------------------------------------------------
> From: "Fred Lieberman" <quartz@frontier.com>
> Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2011 3:49 PM
> To: <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
> Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to group with QUESTION
>
>> PPP – daemon (have)
>> PPPCONFIG utility (have)
>> pppoeconf (have) – configures PPPoE/ADSL connections (whatever that
>> means)
>> GNOME PPP – have that on a thumb drive
>> WvDial – have that on a thumb drive; hope I have the right one.
>> There were four. Requires other programs, three of which already
>> exists on the machine.
>>
>> Fred
>>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment