Saturday, June 25, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to group with QUESTION

 

Hi Gerald,

I spoke to two technicians. The first said we do not support it, without an explanation. The second repeated the same thing, but was nice enough to add: I can connect with them using Linux, but they cannot help me with that process. He suggested that I check on line to see how it can be done.

Fred

From: g.linuxducks
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2011 5:02 AM
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to group with QUESTION

hiya Fred.... I don't want to mislead you in that I have only done
ethernet (broadband/dsl) and wireless Wi-Fi connectivity so far on
Linux. (Settled on Ubuntu Linux, have will try others here and there
since Linux is even fun to use).

You actually have more experience than I do at Linux dial up. The one
point is though that I would throw a call into your current ISP and say
like I have installed Linux and is that okay to use on my subscription.
The simple point is that I am trying to convey is that the ISP
specifically for Linux may not allow dial up connectivity. Doubtful,
maybe. This is generally only dial up whereas does not generally come
into play with ethernet and wi-fi home network.

Like I said I don;t want to mislead you in that I have no first hand
experience in setting up dial up yet with Linux. However, I am getting
to know my way around on Linux very well and would rate myself as still
an Intermediate user as opposed to an advanced user knowing the system
like the back of their hand.

Yes, running a terminal - do an app get - locate missing packages -
doing a disk check.... yes I have experience with that so I am learning
with you here as I am interested in my Notebook with Linux that has all
three - ethernet, wireless, and dial up. It is good to have
contingencies if something fails elsewhere.

I am doing the run through over the weekend and how long this takes to
actually set up my notebook for Linux dial up connectivity. Just being
that little bit savvy and not afraid of opening a Terminal (like DOS
Command Prompt in windows) and run commands has anyone well on their way
to being an advanced user. No problem.

For the record I will be connecting Ubuntu Linux 10.10.

All it will take is the proper installation of any software not
installed (add any packages), proper ISP settings, and a first check to
make sure the dial up modem is in fact working - operational. Done.

On 06/23/2011 05:01 PM, Fred Lieberman wrote:
> Hi Gerald,
>
> Sorry for not getting back sooner. I have been pretty busy.
>
> 1) Setting up Dial-up connection in Ubuntu
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/setting-up-dial-up-connection-in-ubuntu.html
>
> I agree with you. It is a great tutorial with great pictures. The other group did recommend this website to me. Unfortunately, it was put together at the end of 2006. There is some indication on the web that it is outdated for 10.04. I can now understand why I had a difficult time using it.
> a) Could not configure a Dial-Up connection using Networking Option – Networking does not exist.
> b) Did configure a Dial-Up Connection using pppconfig
> c) Did the sudo adduser YOURNAMEHERE dip
> d) Tried to do the sudo adduser YOURNAMEHERE dialout and it did not accept it.
> e) pon comcast does not work
> f) Could not install GNOME PPP, because I could not dial out.
>
> So, that is where I stand.
>
> I downloaded Gnome ppp to a thumb drive but could not install it because WV Dial was not in the machine. I found WV Dial, but there were four versions. I am not sure which one of the four to use. To install any of the four requires about 10 programs which should be on the machine. Do not know how to verify if these programs already exist on the computer.
>
>
> One more note. Mepis is not a good choice for me, unless I add more RAM. It requires a minimum of 1 G of RAM. On the other hand, it does appear to have the programs installed for dial-up. At this point, I want to explore Ubuntu before going on to something else.
>
> Fred

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment