Monday, June 27, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to group with QUESTION

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "g.linuxducks" <g.linuxducks@...> wrote:
>
> The whole point is I believe Linux is dial up ready out of the box just like
> it is ethernet ready (broadband/dsl) and wireless ready (wi fi). I have
> found that only the ethernet ready connection settings are in by default. To
> use wireless or dial up, you must click new connection in the Update
> Manager. Since I use it for wireless, I know that it is named wlan0 or there
> will never be anyway to ever get on wireless no matter how much stuff you
> keep on installing. This is the same for dial up to my knowledge, and no
> matter how much you keep installing it is not going to work until a new
> connection is set up in connection manager which is the connection name I am
> trying to find.
>
> Like ethernet is named " Auto eth0 " by default or you will never got online
> no matter how much stuff is installed. It is 'tarded to think someone would
> make a computer and computer system that you have to put together anything
> to get an internet connection. They don't. All computers and systems come
> internet connect ready period. The only exception is the wireless modem that
> may not be supported here there or everywhere. Technology changes does
> effect wireless. The old v.92 dial up modem has been here since I have been
> on computers since 2001. All computers and operating systems come ready
> connect for that as well as broadband/dsl. You generally cal in to the ISP
> to start subscription and any necessary connection settings and or software.
> This does not have anything to do with computer connectivity - it is an ISP
> issue.
>
> I am waiting for an answer myself from anyone who uses Linux dial up for the
> connection setting name.
>
> Unfortunately the world is moving towards broadband/dsl particularly in the
> USA. That is reflected in Linux as they for some reason expect that everyone
> going to use it is on broadband/dsl montly subscription. It is the ONLY
> default connection set up out of the box for some reason and shows.
> Personally I would never go back to dial up and would take satellite high
> speed if broadband/dsl was not available in my area. Dial up is just to
> ridiculous to use in todays computing I am sorry to say, but is reality.
>
> The only reason I am trying to hook up Linux dial up is like if I were to
> change dsl providers I would have a dial up account free to use while
> waiting which for one is 10 hours free a month from Juno.com.
>
> There has to be somebody out here that uses Linux on dial up ! will they
> please answer !
>

I dialed up for years in Linux.

I've used eth1 sometimes myself as far as your eth0 theory goes. Even when I only had one ethernet card in a machine! udev can be amazingly annoying like that.

ttyS0 or ttyS1 are likely your modem ports. Unless it is an internal then it is likely they aren't. But that alone is NOT going to get you online! And you cannot just guess at it either. Well you can but you might be barking at the Moon if you do.

Even back when dial up was the only game in town it was never automatic.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment