Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Wont boot..help

 

Sorry, Yvonne.  Your Ubuntu expert gave you expert info on Ubuntu, but wasn't very farsighted, in my opinion.  They neglected to advise you to set up a 200MB DOS partition as hda1 if you're doing a multi-boot.  Dinosaur-Land has saved my proverbial ass on more than one occasion.

--- On Wed, 6/29/11, Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Wont boot..help
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 9:51 PM

I've tried logging in as root. It seems that whatever my husband did locked
me out of root, too. It's not recognizing my root password. I talked to an
Ubuntu tech guy I know, and he said that at this point there is nothing left
to do but reinstall Ubuntu. I used my live CD to get in and get all my data
saved to chips.  Since I have to start fresh anyway I'm going to partition
the drive three ways-- two different Linux distros and the third, just for
data. I'll use Ubuntu 11 on one partition, and either OpenSuse, Debian or
Fedora  on the second.

Any suggestions? I want something that will force me to learn my way around
the command prompt without being super frustrating. Basically, something a
step or two up in difficulty from Ubuntu but still usable to a newbie
willing to fight with it.

Yvette

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Martin Warren <elephant_range@yahoo.com>wrote:

> **
>
>
> Please don't take me for a Ubuntu expert, because I rarely use that OS, but
> is the 'loading screen' you refer to the Ubuntu loading screen or that of a
> bootloader (grub, maybe)?  The first possibility I can see would require you
> to use the live CD to re-install the startup files, and you would want
> someone more familiar with the Ubuntu OS - 'cuz I'm Debian.  The second
> possibility would require that you re-install the bootloader (can be tricky,
> but I could help you more on that one).   Can you get far enough to try
> logging in as root and check your user settings that way?
>
> --- On Wed, 6/29/11, Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> From: Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@gmail.com>
> « Plain Text Check Spelling[image: Change language] Resume Editing
>
>
> Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Wont boot..help
> To: "LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com" <LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com>
> Date: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 12:00 AM
>
>
>
>
> My husband tried to instal MySQL while I was gone. He says the instructions
>
> said to use the terminal to run chown-rmysql.
>
> When I got home my laptop was off,so I rebooted. Now I can't log in. When I
>
> try to log in it flashes the loading screen with an error message. It
>
> flashes too quickly to read.
>
> I have an Ubuntu cd and used that to check my hard disk. All my files seem
>
> to be intact. I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on a Dell Inspiring laptop.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
>
> Thank you
>
> Yvette
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

>

--
Yvette Davis
Natural Health Consultant, Herbalist, Writer
www.msquill.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment