Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to group with QUESTION

 

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 11:13:29PM -0000, Paul wrote:
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Scott <scottro@...> wrote:
> >
> It is all I had when I got started. And there is no one less advanced than I am. I still have my Walnut Creek Linux Bible which is just all the HOWTOs printed out. Was a pretty thick book even in 1997.
>

Yup, but things are easier now. I suspect there are many less advanced
than you, actually.

> Nothing worthwhile is ever easy. But if I can do it then anyone that has gotten this far in this message can too!
>

Not everyone wants to put the same amount of time into it, or has the
amount that you might have had--back in the late 90's, when I first got
interested in it, I was fortunate to be in a situation where I had
opportunity to learn.

> And hey if you think you can explain it any better submit your HOWTO and they'll probably toss it up on the web.

I've found that it's simply easier to use my ISP's home page for my
howtos--I have limited time, and official ones make me feel as if I have
to maintain them. Also, they have their various restrictions, such as
the pattern of the howtos. Some of them, such as the LVM howto, are
great, even if dated, others, well....not my cup of tea. However, the
fact that they're not mine doesn't mean they're bad, simply that they're
not good for me. For example, I think the advanced bash scripting one
is one of the poorer bash tutorials I've seen, where others (though they
often had a programming background) say it's the greatest thing since
sliced bread--which reminds me, I better get the sliced bread out of the
freezer.

My own personal opinion is that BSD docs are much better--I remember
when I first started with Linux, a friend telling me that if a man page
made no sense to me, go to the FreeBSD site and read theirs. I'm sure
that some prejudice has remained.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Angel: I knew this was gonna happen.
Buffy: What? What do you think is happening?
Angel: You're 16 years old, I'm 241.
Buffy: I've done the math.
Angel: You don't know what you're doing. You don't know what you
want.
Buffy: Oh, no. I think I do. I want out of this conversation.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment