Tuesday, March 22, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Grub: Dual Boot don´t work correctly

 

Chris,

I have installed Ubuntu on perhaps twenty different systems that had Win XP on them, and never had to do what you describe.

In fact, the Windows boot overwrites the first, boot sector of the drive--which is where the boot loaders such as Grub normally are.

I have had to reinstall grub a few times on machines of people who did as you describe so they could then boot Linux as well, however.

I have had the same results with various other Linux distros as well.

David

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Chris Becker <usabecker@...> wrote:

> Just a note, every time I have installed Ubuntu to dual boot with XP,
> it has been required to run the system repair CD to restore the boot
> sector of Windows. This used to be mentioned in all of the tutorials
> I was using back then when I first got started, but I do not see it
> mentioned on the ones I am finding now. I do not know if the problem
> has supposedly gone away or not. But the process is fairly simple:
> boot from the windows install CD (after first installing Windows then
> Ubuntu) and then select the option that is something like "repair an
> existing installation." I don't remember the exact steps, but I do
> recall it was fairly automated and intuitive when looking at the
> options.
>
> My experience is different from Roy's as I never had to Reinstall grub
> after I did that. I don't know if that is because I was lucky or if
> something has changed.
>
> ~Chris
>
>
> >
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment