Wednesday, March 16, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Is anyone here using Verizon's 4G wireless? (or even the 3G)

 

Thank you for that answer, but I am looking specifically for experience with Verizon's modems (they have two that work for 4G/3G). I'm getting ready to do some traveling and I want Verizon because in my experience, Sprint's coverage (the 3G) outside urban areas is either spotty or nonexistent.

I can say, for anyone who is considering Sprint, that my Cricket modem - which uses the Sprint 3G network - was easy to set up in Mint 10 (and in Puppy too; I tried that before Mint). My speeds aren't as good as yours - I think the highest I've seen is about 90kb/s, and it's usually much lower - but my modem is a couple of years old. And the price is hard to beat.

Meg

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "grantrocket2" <mars_rover@...> wrote:
>
> Well you ask for verision. However I can tell you the Sprint USB modem works reasonably well. Under mint 9 I needed a script to start some services that didn't automaticaly start. Under mint 10 it worked out of the box. Have not tested 4G, only 3G and roaming.
> Speeds are about 150-200kb/s however I had one spike up to 250kb/s
> Roaming speeds are about 8-12kb/s (so slow won't even load a webpage)
> Sprint and verizon are similar (i think) so I hope this helps.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment