Friday, March 18, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Is anyone here using Verizon's 4G wireless? (or even the 3G)

 

Meg,
Recently I attended a March presentation at CLUE in Denver. The main topic was on troubleshooting - the substance of the talk was on getting a Verizon (3G?) modem to work in Ubuntu 10.10. The speaker Lori (lspencer AT parsec Dot com) did an fantastic job and made slides.

If you contact her, she is willing to email the notes.

Good luck.
jontheisguy

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "m" <m_alexander61@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Meg" <kimada.news@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I'm checking into switching carriers and these plans look interesting, but some of the reviews on the Verizon site mention problems with Linux. They don't give any details, though.
> >
> > My own experience with the modem I have now has been really positive (at least as far as Linux is concerned :) ). Even though the people at Cricket told me it wouldn't work with Linux, I was able to get it set up really easily (basically, just like a dialup modem). So I'm not sure I trust those reviews. I thought I'd ask here for some "real world" experience, if anyone has any.
> >
> > If you're on one of Verizon's wireless plans - 3G or 4G - how is that working for you? Did you have any trouble setting up the modem? How are the speeds?
> >
> > I was hoping to have this settled by now, but the company I signed up with last week isn't going to work out, so I'm back to square one - and doing more research, since wireless internet seems to be changing fairly rapidly. But I'd really appreciate hearing your feedback and any suggestions before I make any more commitments - and spend any more money.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.
> >
> > Meg
> >
> Meg, I used a Verizon modem a year or so ago and only for a short time so I'm going from spotty memory here.
> First, IIRC, it only worked with Windows. Maybe this has changed. Second, it would have cost a fortune to use it for any length of time. It seems that $30 got me about three days of normal usage at best. Third, even though everyone around here uses Verizon (it seems so anyway) my connection was not great.
> Maybe you will have better luck though.
> Mark
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment