Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Grub: Dual Boot don´t work correctly

 



hello Roy

please add me i wanna tallk to you personaly
my mail account is : mancoeg@yahoo.com

regards
hassan

--- On Tue, 3/22/11, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Grub: Dual Boot don´t work correctly
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2011, 6:00 PM

If you install Windows first then you don't have a problem because
Ubuntu will install grub which is OS agnostic. If you install Windows
second then it will overwrite the MBR with its own boot loader which
only recognises Windows and ignores Linux.  This means that you can
get into Windows, but not Linux. The rule of thumb is therefore to
install Windows and then Linux. It does not matter which version of
Windows because they are equally blind.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada

On 22 March 2011 10:32, Chris Becker <usabecker@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM, KLaus <klauslms@yahoo.de> wrote:
>>
>>
>> Hello Roy,
>> thank you for your help!
>> I am tired of repairing. I will install both systems again!
>> Kind regards
>> Charlyms
>>
>
>
> Just a note, every time I have installed Ubuntu to dual boot with XP,
> it has been required to run the system repair CD to restore the boot
> sector of Windows.  This used to be mentioned in all of the tutorials
> I was using back then when I first got started, but I do not see it
> mentioned on the ones I am finding now.  I do not know if the problem
> has supposedly gone away or not.  But the process is fairly simple:
> boot from the windows install CD (after first installing Windows then
> Ubuntu) and then select the option that is something like "repair an
> existing installation."  I don't remember the exact steps, but I do
> recall it was fairly automated and intuitive when looking at the
> options.
>
> My experience is different from Roy's as I never had to Reinstall grub
> after I did that.  I don't know if that is because I was lucky or if
> something has changed.
>
> ~Chris
>
>
>>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment