Friday, March 25, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Suggestions for upgrading to Mint 64-bit?

I don't think that 64-bit will make much difference and your problems are
probably not linked to that. Although a clean installation often remedies
other problems. I would look at your swap and how much that you have
allocated. If too little or too much it can drag down performance
significantly. You may have to add or shrink swap partitions. You can also
change the swappiness settings. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq

You can try issuing the free command at any time to see how much memory is
available and where it is allocated.
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-check-memory-usage/

Sometimes applications themselves have memory leaks so you have to pay
attention to what is running. There are other things that could drag down
performance as well and there are faster desktop environments and
distributions that you can try before you resort to a re-installation.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 24 March 2011 22:10, m <m_alexander61@yahoo.com> wrote:

>
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Meg" <kimada.news@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> > I've had a problem with speed - or the lack thereof - ever since I
> installed this version of Mint (10 Julia). It's been even more noticeable
> since I had an extra 2 gigs of Ram installed; with 4 gigs now, Windows XP is
> speeding along while Mint can barely handle right-clicks on the mouse. Since
> one of the reasons I went with Linux was because I thought it would be
> faster, this has been really disappointing.
> >
> > I did discover when I had the extra RAM put in that this computer can
> handle 64-bit versions of things. Right now I have Mint's 32-bit version
> installed; I'm thinking of upgrading to the 64-bit to see if it will make a
> difference in the speed. But it's a huge download for my
> bandwidth-restricted wireless connection. So before I do it I thought I'd
> ask for suggestions.
> >
> > The way I did the first installation was to download and set up Mint on a
> flash drive, then boot with that and click "install" on the desktop. I
> figure I'll do the same this time. But -
> >
> > Can I just leave the current Mint partitions (I think there are 2) the
> way they are and let the installation "wizard" write over them? Will it do
> that? Or should I wipe the partitions and let the installation set them up
> from scratch? I have no problem with deleting the partitions; I have
> software in XP that will do that (I had to use it with the original
> installation because it took several tries to get it to work - there was a
> problem with the username case). And of course everything is backed up, both
> on the Windows side and on an external hard disk. I just don't want to have
> to manually specify partitions; I couldn't figure that part out before and I
> don't expect it will be any easier this time.
> >
> > I hope all of this makes sense; it's hard to explain what you don't
> understand well.
> >
> > Anyway - I'll appreciate any ideas or suggestions you may have to make
> this process as simple and easy as possible. And thanks in advance for your
> help.
> >
> > Meg
> >
> Hi, Meg!
> I'm glad there was already one response to your post as I am still a newb
> myself, even though I discovered Linux over 5 years ago.
> Scott and many others here will be able to offer you actual help but I can
> say from experience that Mint (up to 9 at least) has been wonderful and
> painless. I finally have gotten a 64-bit machine, and with an AMD processor
> at that, and all went well with the AMD 64 version of Mint. I'm biased, of
> course, because Mint has always worked so well for me on different machines
> and I feel certain that you will be able to easily resolve your situation.
> Mark
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment