Thursday, March 31, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Hope this isn't too Newbie for a Newbies Group

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <kshansen@...> wrote:
>
> I have an older HP computer, not this one, that has a Pentium II processor and 64 MB Ram.
>
> Would this be a good candidate for Linux and if so any particular version? Just looking for something to play around with, maybe surf the web email and such.
>

Short answer not today.

128MB RAM absolute rock bottom 512MB more realistic target. I've been getting better out of trash piles for about 10 years. I'm on a dumps box now that's a 2GHz P4 with 512MB RAM, one behind me is a 1GHz P3 512MB dustbin special as well. Both worthless in the Windows world today but they can run Linux.

If I can do it you can do it too. I *KNOW* you can do better! So join a Freecycle group right here at Yahoo! and prove me right. Honestly I left a bar one night and found a better PC at the curb than what you propose.

Or just use the PC you're on now with a USB key distro. I'm not saying it is impossible to run Linux on your 64MB P2 just it isn't worth the electricity it'd draw doing it, let alone your time and heartache setting it up is all.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment