Thursday, March 24, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Suggestions for upgrading to Mint 64-bit?

 

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 08:58:33PM -0000, Meg wrote:
> Hi all,

> I've had a problem with speed - or the lack thereof - ever since I installed this version of Mint (10 Julia). It's been even more noticeable since I had an extra 2 gigs of Ram installed; with 4 gigs now, Windows XP is speeding along while Mint can barely handle right-clicks on the mouse. Since one of the reasons I went with Linux was because I thought it would be faster, this has been really disappointing.
>

Interesting. I'm surprised that it's so slow. I'm not really familiar
with Mint, though I installed it for a user at work who was sick of
virus (virii?) and hunting down driverse for reinstall, on a fairly old
Acer Aspire One, and it's fine. Maybe it was just a bad install for
some reason.

> I did discover when I had the extra RAM put in that this computer can handle 64-bit versions of things. Right now I have Mint's 32-bit version installed; I'm thinking of upgrading to the 64-bit to see if it will make a difference in the speed. But it's a huge download for my bandwidth-restricted wireless connection. So before I do it I thought I'd ask for suggestions.
>

Definitely worth doing in my opinion. Blck, bandwidth restricted is
bad. You might be able to get someone to burn you a CD. (or download it
at your public library--depending upon your area, wireless may be
available there.)

> The way I did the first installation was to download and set up Mint on a flash drive, then boot with that and click "install" on the desktop. I figure I'll do the same this time. But -
>
> Can I just leave the current Mint partitions (I think there are 2) the way they are and let the installation "wizard" write over them?

Yes, it will give you various options, including doing that.

Or should I wipe the partitions and let the installation set them up from scratch?

Oops, reading on about how you don't want to have to manually specify,
you might be best doing what you suggest, especially as it won't cause
you problems.

I just don't want to have to manually specify partitions; I couldn't figure that part out before and I don't expect it will be any easier this time.
>

See above. :)

> I hope all of this makes sense; it's hard to explain what you don't understand well.
>

You're doing fine.

If you don't want to have to manually specify, as mentioned above, it's
probably easiest to do as you suggest, and delete the current
installation.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

(After finding Spike outside her house.)
Buffy: What are you doing here, Spike? Five words or less!
Spike: (counting on fingers) Out... for... a... walk... bitch.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment