Thursday, March 24, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Suggestions for upgrading to Mint 64-bit?

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Meg" <kimada.news@...> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I've had a problem with speed - or the lack thereof - ever since I installed this version of Mint (10 Julia). It's been even more noticeable since I had an extra 2 gigs of Ram installed; with 4 gigs now, Windows XP is speeding along while Mint can barely handle right-clicks on the mouse. Since one of the reasons I went with Linux was because I thought it would be faster, this has been really disappointing.
>
> I did discover when I had the extra RAM put in that this computer can handle 64-bit versions of things. Right now I have Mint's 32-bit version installed; I'm thinking of upgrading to the 64-bit to see if it will make a difference in the speed. But it's a huge download for my bandwidth-restricted wireless connection. So before I do it I thought I'd ask for suggestions.
>
> The way I did the first installation was to download and set up Mint on a flash drive, then boot with that and click "install" on the desktop. I figure I'll do the same this time. But -
>
> Can I just leave the current Mint partitions (I think there are 2) the way they are and let the installation "wizard" write over them? Will it do that? Or should I wipe the partitions and let the installation set them up from scratch? I have no problem with deleting the partitions; I have software in XP that will do that (I had to use it with the original installation because it took several tries to get it to work - there was a problem with the username case). And of course everything is backed up, both on the Windows side and on an external hard disk. I just don't want to have to manually specify partitions; I couldn't figure that part out before and I don't expect it will be any easier this time.
>
> I hope all of this makes sense; it's hard to explain what you don't understand well.
>
> Anyway - I'll appreciate any ideas or suggestions you may have to make this process as simple and easy as possible. And thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Meg
>
Hi, Meg!
I'm glad there was already one response to your post as I am still a newb myself, even though I discovered Linux over 5 years ago.
Scott and many others here will be able to offer you actual help but I can say from experience that Mint (up to 9 at least) has been wonderful and painless. I finally have gotten a 64-bit machine, and with an AMD processor at that, and all went well with the AMD 64 version of Mint. I'm biased, of course, because Mint has always worked so well for me on different machines and I feel certain that you will be able to easily resolve your situation.
Mark

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment