Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Grub: Dual Boot don´t work correctly

 

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM, dbneeley <dbneeley@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I have installed Ubuntu on perhaps twenty different systems that had Win XP on them, and never had to do what you describe.
> In fact, the Windows boot overwrites the first, boot sector of the drive--which is where the boot loaders such as Grub normally are.
> I have had to reinstall grub a few times on machines of people who did as you describe so they could then boot Linux as well, however.
> I have had the same results with various other Linux distros as well.
>
> David
>
If I still had XP on any of these machines, I would repeat the process
and figure out what exactly I am talking about. Unfortunately XP has
been moved to VMs. But I know I did not imagining those results.
Maybe it was something else that needed repair besides the boot
sector, even though that's what my brain is telling me it is?

I did all of these installs at approximately the same time (over a
span of half a year) and followed the same procedures for
repartitioning Windows and installing Linux. My sample size is
somewhat smaller than yours with only 5 or 6 computers, but more than
once on several of them as hard drives were replaced, new operating
systems tried, etc. The only thing constant in these installs were
the set of disks used for XP. None-the-less, I will bow to the
superior wisdom of yourself, Roy, and my various current google
searches which are all turning up information that contradicts my own
experience.

Old age, perhaps getting the best of me?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment