Wednesday, March 23, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Suggestions for upgrading to Mint 64-bit?

 

Hi all,
I've had a problem with speed - or the lack thereof - ever since I installed this version of Mint (10 Julia). It's been even more noticeable since I had an extra 2 gigs of Ram installed; with 4 gigs now, Windows XP is speeding along while Mint can barely handle right-clicks on the mouse. Since one of the reasons I went with Linux was because I thought it would be faster, this has been really disappointing.

I did discover when I had the extra RAM put in that this computer can handle 64-bit versions of things. Right now I have Mint's 32-bit version installed; I'm thinking of upgrading to the 64-bit to see if it will make a difference in the speed. But it's a huge download for my bandwidth-restricted wireless connection. So before I do it I thought I'd ask for suggestions.

The way I did the first installation was to download and set up Mint on a flash drive, then boot with that and click "install" on the desktop. I figure I'll do the same this time. But -

Can I just leave the current Mint partitions (I think there are 2) the way they are and let the installation "wizard" write over them? Will it do that? Or should I wipe the partitions and let the installation set them up from scratch? I have no problem with deleting the partitions; I have software in XP that will do that (I had to use it with the original installation because it took several tries to get it to work - there was a problem with the username case). And of course everything is backed up, both on the Windows side and on an external hard disk. I just don't want to have to manually specify partitions; I couldn't figure that part out before and I don't expect it will be any easier this time.

I hope all of this makes sense; it's hard to explain what you don't understand well.

Anyway - I'll appreciate any ideas or suggestions you may have to make this process as simple and easy as possible. And thanks in advance for your help.

Meg

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment