Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Grub: Dual Boot don´t work correctly

I'll 2nd that-
always install windows first!
I have never had to mess around with mbr's,
repairs, etc..
D

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 9:00 PM, Roy <linuxcanuck@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>
> If you install Windows first then you don't have a problem because
> Ubuntu will install grub which is OS agnostic. If you install Windows
> second then it will overwrite the MBR with its own boot loader which
> only recognises Windows and ignores Linux. This means that you can
> get into Windows, but not Linux. The rule of thumb is therefore to
> install Windows and then Linux. It does not matter which version of
> Windows because they are equally blind.
>
> Roy
>
> Using Kubuntu 10.10, 64-bit
> Location: Canada
>
> On 22 March 2011 10:32, Chris Becker <usabecker@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM, KLaus <klauslms@yahoo.de> wrote:
> >>
> >>
> >> Hello Roy,
> >> thank you for your help!
> >> I am tired of repairing. I will install both systems again!
> >> Kind regards
> >> Charlyms
> >>
> >
> >
> > Just a note, every time I have installed Ubuntu to dual boot with XP,
> > it has been required to run the system repair CD to restore the boot
> > sector of Windows. This used to be mentioned in all of the tutorials
> > I was using back then when I first got started, but I do not see it
> > mentioned on the ones I am finding now. I do not know if the problem
> > has supposedly gone away or not. But the process is fairly simple:
> > boot from the windows install CD (after first installing Windows then
> > Ubuntu) and then select the option that is something like "repair an
> > existing installation." I don't remember the exact steps, but I do
> > recall it was fairly automated and intuitive when looking at the
> > options.
> >
> > My experience is different from Roy's as I never had to Reinstall grub
> > after I did that. I don't know if that is because I was lucky or if
> > something has changed.
> >
> > ~Chris
> >
> >
> >>
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > To unsubscribe from this list, please email
> LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo!
> Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment