Thursday, July 28, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to Linux

 

Thank you to every one for the advise. What I have decided is to experiment slowly. I ordered a live DVD ( I don't have a DVD Burner)
and try it on one of my desktop computers and see how I like it.
It just seemed like a wast of money to buy another laptop just to play with. I really love my existing Thinkpad T60 but the hard drive is a little small 60GB but I think I could still partition the drive and make it work. I have around 30GB of free space. As a storm spotter I have a program that does not work well with Wine or what ever.
Just enjoying the journey (learning experience)

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, c beck <usabecker@...> wrote:

> Hi Jerold. I don't think my original message ever made it through
> Yahoo's servers... (or maybe my own server or moderation?) But in any
> case, I thought I would try again to mention that while linux mint can
> be an excellent distro to try, what can often be more important for a
> new user with a laptop (imo) is finding hardware that is compatible
> with Linux. Not always, but every now and again there is a particular
> model of laptop that just does not have good hardware driver support
> in linux (newer toshibas, for example).
>
> My recommendation, if you are thinking of buying a computer
> specifically for installing linux on, would be to do a bit of google
> with the computer model and "linux installation" and "linux problem"
> or similar (maybe including the distro you are considering) to see if
> there are any big hickups. You can always find a few issues
> scattered, but if there are dozens of reports for a specific model in
> bug reports etc, it may be good to stay away from that PC if there is
> not an easy fix and you do not want a lot of hassle out of the box.
>
> If you have physical access to the PC before purchase, you can always
> burn a linux CD and boot it from the CD drive to get an idea of how
> well it may work with that model. (live booted CDs are
> slower/very-slow as they run entirely from memory and sometimes things
> that do not work there will work after installation and updates. but
> it can still give you an idea.)
>
> With a little effort, of course, it is usually possible to get just
> about anything working.
>
> Best of luck, and cheers,
> Chris
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment