Sunday, July 24, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to Linux

 


Were you born as stupid as you are or did you have to work at it your whole life?

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Robert C Wittig <wittig.robert@...> wrote:
>
> On 7/23/2011 8:55 PM, Paul wrote:
>
> > The only thing that matters to me is it limits my options. I haven't
> > had to fix too much on the spot over the years but whenever I have it
> > has always been critical and of the highest priority to me!
> >
>
> 'It' limits your options... Is 'it' Linux?
>
> If so, are you sure that Linux is the limiting factor?
>
> I've run a lot of operating systems over the decades... the early UNIX
> systems, then DOS, then Windows, before it was an operating system, when
> it was just a presentation manager app running on DOS (v.2.1, IIRC is
> still laying around up in my workshop somewhere), then Windows 3.11,
> 4.0, right on up to v.7.
>
> Concurrently, I have been running BSD-UNIX (mostly OpenBSD currently)
> and Linux, from its early, pre GUI days... Slackware, Red Hat, etc.,
> currently CentOS.
>
> For good measure, I also ran OS/2, from its inception, to its eventual
> demise. "What a long, strange trip it's been".
>
> Over all of those years, I have found that I am, more often than not,
> the primary 'limiting factor'.
>
> As if by magic, the more I study and learn, the better the operating
> systems and applications that I am working on, seem to become. :)
>
> > Nothing I could wait a few months for a vendor to maybe get around to
> > addressing. Basically stuff had to be right before I got up. And so
> > far it always has!
> >
>
> Which 'it' are you referring to, here... Windows or Linux, or something
> else?
>
> I have never encountered an operating system that was "right before I
> got up". To the best of my knowledge, no such operating system (or large
> application) has ever existed. Bugs are constantly being discovered and
> patched, and systems, upgraded.
>
> See:
> http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/the-life-cycle-of-a-typical-computer-program.html
>
> Use whichever operating system and applications that 'get the job done'
> most efficiently, for you.
>
> Currently, my servers are running OpenBSD, My primary Desktop is running
> CentOS Linux, my secondary Desktop is running Windows Vista, and my
> Netbook is running Windows 7.
>
> Each installation has its own strengths and weaknesses.
>
> I try to use the right tool for the job at hand.
>
> > Plus I like transparency when it comes to computing. Maybe I don't
> > always use it but it is comforting to know it is there.
> >
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by 'transparency', in this context, any more
> than I was sure what you meant by 'it', in the two ambiguous contexts I
> pointed out above.
>
>
> --
> http://www.robertwittig.com/
> http://robertwittig.net/
> http://robertwittig.org/
> .
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment