Sunday, July 3, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Minimize Window to Panel ?

 

Not all. GNOME 3 does not allow anything to minimise (no buttons) and
there is no system tray and Unity allows applications to minimise but
only a few select applications to run from the system tray or
notification area. When applications are minimised in Unity they
appear in the Launcher just like they do in Windows 7's panel. KDE
allows applications to be minimised and appear in the panel. Not all
applications can run from the system tray, though. Some applications
like Amarok will run from the system tray while others will only run
from the panel or exit. However with Alltray you can get anything to
run from the system tray. The move away from this in GNOME 3 and Unity
is deliberate. They are striving for a clean look and this trumps
flexibility. If you thought GNOME 2.x was locked down then you have
not seen anything yet. XFCE works closest to classic GNOME with KDE
being a close second.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 11.04, 64-bit
Location: Canada

On 2 July 2011 22:11, c beck <usabecker@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 1:52 PM, Jerry <bearjercares@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> **
>>
>>
>> Can someone help me out on which desktops are automatically configured
>> to minimize an open window to the panel or taskbar (whatever it should
>> be called)? I realize there are a couple add-on programs such as
>> Alltray, Docker, etc., but I want to find out which desktops support
>> this automatically. In other words, if I open up Firefox, but I want
>> to simply put it into the background temporarily by minimizing it, I
>> don't want to lose the page where I was or have to go through extra
>> steps. It should be automatic like it used to be. But I recently just
>> made some changes in using Ubuntu 11.04 Classic and that functionality
>> seems to be lost unless I click on the ALLTRAY function. I want it to
>> be automatic like it used to be. Did I explain that well enough?
>> Thanks, --Jerry in Michigan
>>
>
> Hi Jerry.  They are all that way that I know of...  You can switch to a
> different window manager and it ought to bring the function back.  Something
> must have gotten messed up in Metacity.  I'm not sure where their settings
> are, but I really don't even know what kind of things ubuntu has going on in
> 11.04 as I stopped on 10.04. I am trying LXDE desktop with open box as I
> type this.  It does what you want and I am liking it so far...
>
>>
>>
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment