Sunday, July 24, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to Linux

 

On 7/23/2011 8:55 PM, Paul wrote:

> The only thing that matters to me is it limits my options. I haven't
> had to fix too much on the spot over the years but whenever I have it
> has always been critical and of the highest priority to me!
>

'It' limits your options... Is 'it' Linux?

If so, are you sure that Linux is the limiting factor?

I've run a lot of operating systems over the decades... the early UNIX
systems, then DOS, then Windows, before it was an operating system, when
it was just a presentation manager app running on DOS (v.2.1, IIRC is
still laying around up in my workshop somewhere), then Windows 3.11,
4.0, right on up to v.7.

Concurrently, I have been running BSD-UNIX (mostly OpenBSD currently)
and Linux, from its early, pre GUI days... Slackware, Red Hat, etc.,
currently CentOS.

For good measure, I also ran OS/2, from its inception, to its eventual
demise. "What a long, strange trip it's been".

Over all of those years, I have found that I am, more often than not,
the primary 'limiting factor'.

As if by magic, the more I study and learn, the better the operating
systems and applications that I am working on, seem to become. :)

> Nothing I could wait a few months for a vendor to maybe get around to
> addressing. Basically stuff had to be right before I got up. And so
> far it always has!
>

Which 'it' are you referring to, here... Windows or Linux, or something
else?

I have never encountered an operating system that was "right before I
got up". To the best of my knowledge, no such operating system (or large
application) has ever existed. Bugs are constantly being discovered and
patched, and systems, upgraded.

See:
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/the-life-cycle-of-a-typical-computer-program.html

Use whichever operating system and applications that 'get the job done'
most efficiently, for you.

Currently, my servers are running OpenBSD, My primary Desktop is running
CentOS Linux, my secondary Desktop is running Windows Vista, and my
Netbook is running Windows 7.

Each installation has its own strengths and weaknesses.

I try to use the right tool for the job at hand.

> Plus I like transparency when it comes to computing. Maybe I don't
> always use it but it is comforting to know it is there.
>

I'm not sure what you mean by 'transparency', in this context, any more
than I was sure what you meant by 'it', in the two ambiguous contexts I
pointed out above.

--
http://www.robertwittig.com/
http://robertwittig.net/
http://robertwittig.org/
.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment