Sunday, July 17, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Networking/dual computers/synergy

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "grantrocket2" <mars_rover@...> wrote:
>
> Ok, so I've looked around and all the tutorials on using synergy automaticaly assume you have a working network connection on the computers.
> I have a computer running *nix and a computer running windows 7.
> They each have their screen but I want to share the keyboard, that's where synergy comes in. Thing is, I can't even get the two computers to regester a connection with each other.
> I'm running a cat5e cable (7ft) that I bought from wal-mart and just plugged it into each computer. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?
> In addition to the ethernert connection on the *nix box, I also have a wi-fi connection that re-broadcasts my internet to the rest of the house (ad-hoc network, internal wi-fi chip)
> So,
how do I set up my network without messing up my existing one?
>

Yes if you used a regular wire to connect two network adapters. That stunt only works if you have a magical crossover cable. Don't get one, get a switch and another plain cable. You'll be happier in the long run. Cheap switches are dirt cheap too, about what a cable costs.

Whats inside a network cable:
http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/ethernetcables.html

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment