Saturday, July 23, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to Linux

 

I have a laptop that can't boot off USB, so when the IDE on the motherboard went bad, and the previous owner knew it boot off a Linux Live CD, but didn't want to put more money into it, I acquired it at a bargain price. So I tried Ultimate Linux based off Ubuntu 10.10, but I have to use the Hiren's Boot CD and the included PLoP Menu program to boot that installed USB attached hard drive. Can this step be adapted with a Linux Live CD-installed to USB via this method below?

By the way, WI-FI was easier with a Mint Live CD than the Ultimate Linux installed with all his tweaks available, too. But then Puppy latest Wary and LuPu didn't get WI-FI working at the Reno Renown Hospital either.

Joan in Reno

--- On Sat, 7/23/11, Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Paul <pfrederick1@yahoo.com>
Subject: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: New to Linux
To: LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, July 23, 2011, 10:28 AM

 

--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "jerold222" <jerold222@...> wrote:

>

> I have been doing some research on putting Linux on a laptop. Not a geek at all but have reinstalled xp by myself. I see there is a lot of argument about the different flavors of Linux.

>

> What I am considering is picking up an an old Thinkpad T60 with out an OS, 60 to 80 Gb, 1 to 2 Gb Ram and a DVD RW (100 to 150 US$)and loading Linux Mint. What are your thoughts?

>

> At this point I do not want to partition my good desktop PC.

>

Can that machine boot off USB? If it can then you'd be smart to learn about this:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Reading their website it sounds like UNetbootin can work even if you can't boot off USB. But I never tried it.

Then you can switch distros easily without wasting discs, you don't even really have to install any of them to run them and get a feel for how they'll work for you. Just run them live in RAM.

I had fun one day running Ubuntu live and when I rebooted it was like it never even happened. All I had was memories. Linux can be very flexible and accommodating that way. Use it, don't use it, no one cares and it doesn't matter.

Freedom is just another word for nothing left to lose,

Nothing don't mean nothing honey if it ain't free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYFhWV8--io

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment