Monday, July 4, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] offsite backups?

I use BackinTime to backup to a data drive. It does not seem to mind the
file format as long as Linux can read the file format. It is a GUI frontend
for rsync and is dead simple to use and is in the repos.

Roy

Using Kubuntu 11.04, 64-bit
Location: Canada


On 3 July 2011 20:50, Yvette Davis <atlanteanproductions@gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
>
> I have partitioned my hard drive 4 ways.. Three operating systems and one
> data storage drive so that I can easily access all my data in one place --
> I
> don't want to have to remember what partition I've stored something on when
> I'm working.
>
> I have one partition for Ubuntu, one for Debian, and one for Arch. I'll
> install Debian and Arch next week. There is no OS on the data partition.
> I'm using it only for data storage, so I don't see the point of installing
> an OS.
>
> What I need now, is a backup solution for the data drive. I want something
> that I can set to back up automatically at a specified time each evening.
> Obviously, I the back up solution needs to be compatible with Linux, and be
> able to work with the data drive.
>
> I can't get Ubuntu One to see the files on the data storage partition, so
> I'm assuming the Ubuntu One software has to be set up for each partition.
> Anyone know the answer to this, or how to make it work? Ubuntu One is my
> first choice, but I have not been able to figure out how to make it work.
>
> Other options are: a different online storage service --preferably free ,
> backing up to another computer in my home over our wireless network, but I
> still feel like I need offsite storage "just in case" since I have business
> and work files on this drive. Does anyone know if there is a script that
> will back up to either Gmail or Google Docs automatically from the data
> drive?
>
> Are there any other Linux specific solutions that I'm missing?
>
> Thanks everyone,
> Yvette
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
LINUX_Newbies-digest@yahoogroups.com
LINUX_Newbies-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

No comments:

Post a Comment