Sunday, July 3, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] offsite backups?

 

On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 7:50 PM, Yvette Davis
<atlanteanproductions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> I have partitioned my hard drive 4 ways.. Three operating systems and one
> data storage drive so that I can easily access all my data in one place -- I
> don't want to have to remember what partition I've stored something on when
> I'm working.
>
> I have one partition for Ubuntu, one for Debian, and one for Arch. I'll
> install Debian and Arch next week. There is no OS on the data partition.
> I'm using it only for data storage, so I don't see the point of installing
> an OS.

I'll mention that it is often common to have swap-space somewhere
(virtual memory, like windows page file)... or do you have each OS in
an extended partition that includes swap space? Seems like swap would
be a good idea, especially if you intend to do a lot of work with
databases. Unless, I guess, if you have 8 GB of memory or something.

>
> What I need now, is a backup solution for the data drive. I want something
> that I can set to back up automatically at a specified time each evening.
> Obviously, I the back up solution needs to be compatible with Linux, and be
> able to work with the data drive.

I don't do a lot with auto backup programs. You can set up scripts to
automatically run rsync (a command line backup/sync tool), but I know
there are a few options with a visual interface... I've got one
bookmarked at work that I can lookup if no one else has any
suggestions.

>
> I can't get Ubuntu One to see the files on the data storage partition, so
> I'm assuming the Ubuntu One software has to be set up for each partition.
> Anyone know the answer to this, or how to make it work? Ubuntu One is my
> first choice, but I have not been able to figure out how to make it work.

Was the partition mounted when you were trying to get Ubuntu One to
see it? I've never used Ubuntu One, so that is really all I can think
of.
>
> Other options are: a different online storage service --preferably free

Unless you don't care if anyone sees your stored data, I would not do
this. Even those that supposedly encrypt everything do not
necessarily do it (i.e., see recent news on dropbox)
,
> backing up to another computer in my home over our wireless network, but I
> still feel like I need offsite storage "just in case" since I have business
> and work files on this drive.

All the more reason to not backup offsite. If you are really worried
about loosing something, have a backup home server with a mirrored
RAID configuration- this will keep duplicate copies of everything on
two drives simultaneously.

Does anyone know if there is a script that
> will back up to either Gmail or Google Docs automatically from the data
> drive?
>
> Are there any other Linux specific solutions that I'm missing?
>
> Thanks everyone,
> Yvette
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment