Sunday, July 17, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Networking/dual computers/synergy

 

On Fri, 2011-07-15 at 22:45 +0000, grantrocket2 wrote:
>
> Ok, so I've looked around and all the tutorials on using synergy
> automaticaly assume you have a working network connection on the
> computers.
> I have a computer running *nix and a computer running windows 7.
> They each have their screen but I want to share the keyboard, that's
> where synergy comes in. Thing is, I can't even get the two computers
> to regester a connection with each other.

The best way forward is to start with a few tests, first check the
i.p. info (ifconfig on unix/ ipconfig /all on windows) and check that
both computers are on the same network (i.e. they have very simmilar
i.p. addresses probably starting with 192.168.0. with only the last
number(after the 0) being different, and that they both have the same
'mask' probably 255.255.255.0

> I'm running a cat5e cable (7ft) that I bought from wal-mart and just
> plugged it into each computer. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?
you may need to set the network addresses manually (static address) this
can be done through the gui each machine will need an i.p address, and
'mask' (eg. 192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0 and 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0)
you should then be able to type 'ping 192.168.0.1' from the machine with
the address 192.168.0.2 and get a response.

You can set hostnames in /etc/hosts or c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
\hosts

> In addition to the ethernert connection on the *nix box, I also have a
> wi-fi connection that re-broadcasts my internet to the rest of the
> house (ad-hoc network, internal wi-fi chip)
> So, how do I set up my network without messing up my existing one?

send a copy of the output of ifconfig/ipconfig to this list.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment