Friday, July 8, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Linux re-install partitions

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, Roy <linuxcanuck@...> wrote:
>
> quickly add up and make life difficult. When Linux runs out of space then it
> can become a nightmare to fix.
>
> Roy

Yeah? I always thought Linux cut regular users off at 90% of disk capacity? Just to avoid problems. The last 10% is reserved for the root user. I've never come up against it that I can recall but I sort of remember reading about it someplace.

Although I have heard of /var growing and becoming a problem. Some attacks filled up logs to DOS systems. So putting /var on its own partition is a good way to stop that from happening. Log demons run as root so they don't suffer from the 90% cut off.

I make /home its own partition to keep my user from affecting the root file system.

Right now I am only using 7 GB for / and I have a fairly full featured install on this system. Also, I didn't even take /var out of that on this system so its all in there as well.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment