Monday, August 22, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Re: Using Wine - if I could

 



--- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "Paul" <pfrederick1@...> wrote:
>
>
>
> --- In LINUX_Newbies@yahoogroups.com, "suem_in_mo" <group.mail@> wrote:
> >
> > I have tried many times to install/run programs within Wine, but have yet to get more than a simple card game to run. The rest get 'file not found' or other errors without any information on what is missing or broken.
> >
> > <snip>
>
>
> With wine often this must be used:
> http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
>
> For your printer it was your decision to buy crippled hardware.
> Don't blame Linux for your mistakes or your hardware manufacturer's
> greed. Your best bet is to get rid of it and get a real printer.
> Linux works great with those. Better than Windows can.

Wow, that is harsh. I have a variety of printers I use from Linux
Mint and find them all easier to use from Linux than I did from
Windows. Maybe you could give us a bit more detail on the printer
and we could help.

>
> With your Amazon issues reject companies that insist on locking you
> into their proprietary data formats. Unless you just like being used
> then by all means continue. I'll tell you right now it goes against
> everything Linux stands for and no good will ever come of it, well
> no good for you at any rate. Great for Amazon though I'm sure, cha-
> ching!

Again, really harsh and not helpful. There is nothing wrong with
wanting and using a Kindle or Nook. I manage my Kindle directly
from my Kindle without issues.

>
> From your post I don't think you are the intended target audience
> Linux is aimed at. Linux is a hacker's OS. Always has been, always
> will be. The Linux community even embraces system crackers and has
> excellent tools for them to use as well. I just figured someone
> ought to tell you sooner rather than later.
>
> Linux ain't your grandma's solitaire playing OS! If you've an
> aversion to the command line and don't like Windows then maybe Apple > could be a good fit for you? Do yourself and Linux a favor and go >
> check it out. The last thing Linux needs is non hackers. Go be a
> liability to Steve.
>
> Oh, and have a great day!
>

I could not DISAGREE with this statement more. We Linux users often
wonder why our market penetration is small. I would guess that
attitudes like this are a huge contributor. Let me state for the
rest of us, Welcome to Linux. You have chosen well. I rarely
have to go to the command line to do anything and if what you are
wanting is a good appliance computer, I doubt you will ever have to
go to the command line. Just ask questions here and we can and
will help. This is a Newbie group and there are no stupid questions.
Yes, occasionally you will catch someone like Paul who I hope was
having a bad day, but try to focus on those of us who want you to
be successful. I count a few on here as success stories from help
I have contributed. Some are now helping others.

Loyal

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment