Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Re: [LINUX_Newbies] Re: Qustions When Running from Live CD

 

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 05:22:55PM -0000, Paul wrote:
>
>
>
> NFS http://nfs.sourceforge.net/ and SMB http://www.samba.org/ come to mind as two possibilities depending on what else is going on. I don't run a mixed network (I don't do Windows) or own Apple anything myself so I don't know anything about that. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Apple could NFS with Linux. It is just BSD they stole^H^H^H^H^H use isn't it? If there is one thing Linux is about it is networking.

NFS does work with Apple. I've found ssh to be equally fast, but this is
over a wireless network. (One can also use smb.)
>

Apples userland (for newcoemrs, more or less everything that isn't the
device drivers) is heavily based on BSD, though not identical. For
awhile, Apple actually played the role of good guy, giving back, or at
least paying lip service to giving back, to the community.

> Box I'm on now runs HTTP and FTP among other things. I need to setup NFS on my machine upstairs, really I do ...
>

These of course, also work in a mixed environment.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys EB3467D6

Jenny: You're here again? You kids really dig the library don't
you?
Buffy: We're literary.
Xander: To read makes our speaking English good.

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE
Know your score. Know what your credit strengths are. freecreditscore.com .
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment