Monday, August 22, 2011

[LINUX_Newbies] Using Wine - if I could

 

What Windows programs are you trying to run in Linux? That might help
someone give you a better answer.

I tried Wine for my Legacy Family Tree program and it runs under Wine,
but the fonts do not display properly and get all messed up. Legacy
Family Tree is built on top of Microsoft Access, so it is probably one
of the harder programs to run under Wine - Linux. However, I was told
by Legacy support that Legacy Family Tree will run just fine under
VirtualBox under Linux. Someone mentioned about trying that - so I
think that is where I would start, if I were you. But outside of that,
if you do not have to use specific Windows-based programs, Linux now has
a program that will do everything a Windows-based program will do, and
sometimes more, in most cases.
Jerry in Michigan

Using Wine - if I could
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LINUX_Newbies/message/29824;_ylc=X3oDMTJxMm9iMTBvBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE1BGdycElkAzIxODEwOQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDUwMDY1ODAEbXNnSWQDMjk4MjQEc2VjA2Rtc2cEc2xrA3Ztc2cEc3RpbWUDMTMxNDAwNjczMw-->

Posted by: "suem_in_mo" group.mail@shadowdreamer.net
<mailto:group.mail@shadowdreamer.net?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Using%20Wine%20-%20if%20I%20could>
suem_in_mo <http://profiles.yahoo.com/suem_in_mo>

Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:10 pm (PDT)

I have tried many times to install/run programs within Wine, but have
yet to get more than a simple card game to run. The rest get 'file not
found' or other errors without any information on what is missing or
broken.

I am currently using Linux Mint R10 w/ GNOME 2.32, but I also have
access to Linux Kubuntu R10. I want to use Linux instead of Windows for
many reasons. Primarily,I don't like using software that is just asking
for hackers etc to mess with it. Also, I live off-grid which requires
that I conserve power everywhere I can. With Linux my laptop runs at
least an hour longer than with Windows. Finally, I want a choice of OS
to use. I don't like being forced to use something just because the
company is bigger than the rest.

I have tried posting to some of the Yahoo groups in the past for help,
but they end up talking over my head. Or worse used acronyms and
abbreviations presuming that everyone knew what they meant. Which is so
frustrating! I am not PC illiterate nor am I into the nut and bolts of
current software code or machine language. I spent over 20 years as a
programmer, been there done that with no desire to walk that road again.
I know there has to be a straight forward way to do what I want to do
that does not require using terminal line commands (which I hate). I am
a visually orientated person, much preferring a good GUI to run my
computer. Which is what I loved about Windows, its 'plug & play' nature.

I just want a simple reliable way to run Window's software (when there
is no alternative) without having to resort to actually using Windows.

What programs I need that are written for Windows:
My printer software for maintenance and other tasks. The Canon only
speaks Windows.
For my Kindle. Again Amazon only recognize Windows at this point.
Cunitec & Ovitec by Agritec software. Farm livestock management software.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
To unsubscribe from this list, please email LINUX_Newbies-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com & you will be removed.
MARKETPLACE
A bad score is 598. A bad idea is not checking yours, at freecreditscore.com.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment